What to Do If Your Auto Insurance Company Refuses to Pay for a Rental Car
If you have auto insurance and have been involved in an accident, it’s likely that your insurance company will pay to rent you a car while yours is being fixed. But what happens if the insurance company refuses to pay for the rental car? This happened to one man when his brand new BMW was rear-ended, causing $15,000 worth of damage.
2 Ways to Hire a Lawyer if Necessary
An important first step in protecting your rights if you have not been paid by the insurance company is to hire a lawyer. You should also:
- -file an auto insurance lawsuit with the state agency that regulates automobile insurance;
- -notify the insurer in writing that you are considering filing an auto-insurance lawsuit; and -ask for their position on your claim. Once you do, take these steps immediately:
- -file a written response about your dispute and send it to the insurance company’s claims representative as well as other representatives at the same address or e-mail account;
- -document any interactions or phone conversations about your auto insurance dispute;
5 Tips When Talking with Your Insurer
1. Be prepared to provide your insurance company with receipts and other information that support your claim.
2. Be patient. Insurance companies will often take as long as 30 days to review the situation and make a decision about whether or not they are going to cover the rental car costs.
3. Make sure you know your deductible before filing an insurance lawsuit against your insurance company for refusal of coverage on a rental car cost. A deductible is the amount of money you must pay out-of-pocket before the insurance company starts paying anything on the expense that caused it. This is typical $1000 or higher but can be lower in some states with low auto accident rates like New York, where it’s $250 or less.
4. Remember that if you do file an insurance lawsuit against your insurance company for refusing to cover rental car costs, this could result in the cancellation of your auto insurance policy. You should think very carefully about what would happen if you were involved in another accident without having insurance on the vehicle and how much worse this might be than paying off a large deductible from your savings account over time!
5. Finally, remember that many auto insurers offer supplemental liability policies that may help protect you from high out-of-pocket expenses in cases such as these!
How to File an Independent Claim Against Someone Who Hit You
If someone else is at fault and they don’t have insurance, the next step is to file an independent claim against them. This way, you won’t be stuck with the full cost of repairs or rental car costs. To do this, you’ll need to go through the process of filing an insurance lawsuit.
Here’s what you need to know about car insurance claims and auto insurance. You should always contact your own auto insurance company before calling the third party, even if it was the other driver who caused the accident. Your auto insurance company can help start an insurance lawsuit on your behalf, but if you don’t want to wait on them (or feel like they’re taking too long), there are other things that you can do on your own.
The best way to get reimbursed by the other driver’s auto insurance company
The best way to get reimbursed by the other driver’s auto insurance company is by filing an insurance claim. This can be done through your auto insurance company and it may involve hiring an attorney. If your car insurance company refuses to pay for a rental car, file an insurance lawsuit.
You will have more luck winning if you have documented evidence that you contacted the other driver’s insurance company immediately after the accident. Documenting phone conversations with representatives of both parties might also help win any case against you, so make sure to take screenshots or notes of these conversations if possible.
How long does it take to settle a car insurance claim?
Insurance companies can take up to six months or more to settle a car insurance claim, but that doesn’t mean you have to wait around. Speak with your car insurance provider and ask them what steps you should take next. The company may offer an auto insurance lawsuit, as well as advise on how much time they need before they can make an assessment. You also might want to contact your State Department of Consumer Affairs if the company doesn’t offer any other solutions.
If all else fails, check out sites like Allianz Auto and Home Insurance Claims or USAA Auto Insurance Claims Forms that provide helpful information about how long it takes for an auto insurance claim, what you should do during the process and much more.