If Apple and Samsung are competitors in the smartphone market, the two companies are also partners. Indeed, the Korean giant is one of Apple’s suppliers for certain electronic components. And as fans of the Cupertino firm eagerly await the release of the successors to the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max, new rumors indicate that Samsung will produce 80% OLED screens of these new devices.
Specifically, the tech media had raised the possibility that Apple would turn to another partner for the production of the majority of its OLED screens. But, quoting Dititimes, the news site Sammobile says that ultimately, Samsung Display would account for 80% of production. The remaining 20% of Apple’s orders would go to Chinese BOE and South Korean LG Display.
Conflicting iPhone 12 Rumours
This information should be viewed with caution since it does not come from an official source. Besides, an article published by the 9to5Google site does not say exactly the same thing. According to the latter, who quotes information from Elec, Samsung Display would produce 55 million OLED screens for the iPhone 12, while LG would produce 20 million, and total orders from Apple could be around 75 million.
For the moment, we do not know what the characteristics of the screens of the next Apple iPhones will be, but we have rumors of its full specifications. But it’s likely that all versions of the iPhone 12 will use OLED technology (as a reminder, the iPhone 11 has an LCD screen while the iPhone 11 Pro has an OLED screen).
Trybeweb earlier stated that the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Max could have 5.4-inch and 6.1-inch screens with a refresh rate of 60 Hz, which is currently the standard in the smartphone industry. The iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max would have 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch screens, with a higher refresh rate of 120 Hz.
As a reminder, the higher the rate the higher the refresh rate, the smoother the animations on the screen. it would be logical for Apple to offer smartphones with a rate of 120 Hz since premium smartphones running Android already benefit from this characteristic.