Getting $0.09 per Ad click is very frustrating as this would take a very long time before reaching the AdSense payment threshold of $100, and at such rate, you would need a total of One Thousand One hundred and One clicks (1,111) to get to $100. Crazy right, well in today’s article, Trybeweb will be discussing on how to boost your Adsense CPC by blocking low CPC advertisers using blocking control in Adsense Dashboard.
Why do you get low CPC?
Cost Per Click (CPC), is the amount that would be paid to you (publisher) from google after an Ad has been clicked from your website or application. The price of each click varies because of the difference in the Advertising Companies, some Companies tends to pay higher for each click like $3, $5, $9, $16 while some would pay very low ($0.25, $0.16) to the publisher.
Based on their terms, Google AdSense gives 60% of the Ad revenue paid by the Advertiser to You the Publisher, so every amount you get from a click has 40% of it taken by Google.
How To Boost CPC
In this article, I will be discussing 2 methods of boosting CPC, and they are all tested and proven to work flawlessly.
Method #1 Changing Niche
Your niche is a major determinant of your CPC, as advertisers would love to display their contents on Niches related to the Target business.
For example, if you run a website based on Travel & Tourism, You would display more Ads from Travel Agency, Flight Companies, Hotels and others related to leisure and fun).
According to research done by Trybeweb, we found a list of niches that pay high in 2019.
- INSURANCE CPC $58
- GAS/ELECTRICITY CPC $54
- MORTAGE CPC $47
- ATTORNEY CPC $47
- LOANS CPC $44
- LAWYER CPC $42
- DONATE CPC $42
- CONFERENCE CALL CPC $42
- DEGREE/EDUCATION CPC $40
- CREDIT CPC $ 38
- SOFTWARE CPC $35
Switching to that Niche would definitely improve your CPC but it comes with numerous disadvantages like:
- Getting Penalized by Google AdSense for writing unrelated contents (remember when applying for Adsense we were asked to choose a category for our blog so sticking to that category is advisable).
- Losing traffic (a majority of your readers would stop visiting your website especially if they don’t find interest in your new niche, a lover of Tech would hardly visit a cooking website).
- Affect Your SEO: SEO means Search Engine Optimization and once a Niche is abruptly changed the SEO of that website would be affected and things like Domain Authority, Backlinks, Page Authority would also drop.
- Poor Contents: The secrete to blogging success is writing about things you have passion for because it would give you more ideas on what to write on, get unique & professional articles and also help make your contents more helpful to your readers.
The best alternative is opening a sub-niche (a niche related to your existing niche e.g: Music blog with Entertainment news as it’s sub-niche, Technology Blog with App & Software Download as it’s sub-niche, Travel blog with cooking recipes as its sub-niche) but avoid using something unrelated (Music blog with a sub-niche on Travel and lifestyle) as this would make your blog look very messy and unprofessional.
Method #2 Adsense Blocking Control
This is a very critical method and we advise you to refrain from it especially if you are not sure of what you are doing.
Blocking control is an AdSense feature that allows the website owner (Publisher) to stop some Ads from displaying on their blog. With this method, you can block low paying Advertisers and also stop unrelated adverts from displaying on your website.
How to use Blocking Control feature on Adsense
- Firstly login your AdSense dashboard and at the left corner you would see Blocking Control. Click on it and a dropdown of options would show (Contents, Ad review center, All site, and then your website’s name).
- Click on All Sites and add the list of low CPC links you want to block (click here to download our approved list of Low CPC websites).
- After downloading the list, open it and you would see 2 files, one containing a list of high CPC links and the other for low CPC links. Open the Low CPC links and select all the links, copy them and paste it in the box provided in your Adsense dashboard.
- Finally, click on Block URLs and you have successfully blocked those low paying advertisers from displaying Ads on your website.
Note: It would take up to a minute to completely block all networks so do not close the page until the process is completed.
Once you have done that, you have to manually Add the High CPC networks. (click here to download our approved list of Low CPC websites)
THE FILE IS ENCRYPTED AND THE PASSWORD IS : trybeweb
While in that same page at the top you will find Ad Networks (this feature allows you to add some specific networks to display their Ads on your website.
So go back to the file you earlier downloaded and click on High CPC links, open it and you will find a list of links there. This method would take time as you cannot copy and paste them as we earlier did when blocking the low CPC links. So you have to manually copy each link one at a time and paste them in the provided box, it will search for the Ad network and you have to click allow. Repeat these steps for all the networks you want to allow.
Disclaimer: Blocking Ads too many Ads from displaying on your website would lead to low Ad impression but it is definitely a legal means of increasing your CPC and it doesn’t violate any AdSense policy.
If you have questions or you are stuck while trying to block or add some Ads, do leave a comment or use the contact button to get professional assistance from Trybeweb